ILLINOIS ECO-HOME DESIGN APPROACHES
Illinois' unique environment means you should take into account the following factors when buying our renovating your home. Home sustainability - the Illinois way.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS : ILLINOIS' COLD CLIMATE
“A cold climate is defined as a region with between 5,400 and 9,000 heating degree days (65°F basis).”
(Source: Building America Best Practices Series, Volume 7.3. Guide to Determining Climate Regions by County – August 2015)
KEY ECO-FRIENDLY STRATEGIES FOR ILLINOIS
Homes located in cold climates require substantial heating in our to maintain a comfortable living environment. Therefore a key strategy to reduce the environmental impact of these homes focuses on improving the enclosure and efficiency of HVAC systems.
- Improve the insulation of walls and attics
- Upgrade the HVAC system to a more efficient model
- Install Smart Thermostats and Programmable thermostats
- Upgrade your water heater with an on-demand system
REBATES FOR HOME SUSTAINABILITY PROJECTS IN ILLINOIS
- Illinois has tax credits that can be applied to home improvements that make your home more eco-friendly and sustainable. These incentives can be found here.