DELAWARE ECO-HOME DESIGN APPROACHES
Delaware's unique environment means you should take into account the following factors when buying our renovating your home. Home sustainability - the Delaware way.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS : DELAWARE'S MIXED HUMID CLIMATE
“A mixed-humid climate is defined as a region that receives more than 20 inches (50 cm) of annual precipitation, has approximately 5,400 heating degree days (65°F basis) or fewer, and where the average monthly outdoor temperature drops below 45°F (7°C) during the winter months.”
(Source: Building America Best Practices Series, Volume 7.3. Guide to Determining Climate Regions by County – August 2015)
Key Eco-Friendly Strategies for Delaware
Homes located in mixed humid climates require both efficient heating and cooling systems to comfortable living environment year round. Common approaches for mixed humid climates include the following to account for the cool winter and hot summer months.
- Install Programmable and Smart Thermostats
- Upgrade to energy star windows
- Improve the insulation of walls and attics
- Upgrade the HVAC system to a more efficient model
REBATES For home sustainability projects in Delaware
- Delaware has tax credits that can be applied to home improvements that make your home more eco-friendly and sustainable. These incentives can be found here.